Paris with the Kids?
August 30, 2011
Has middle age officially hit when Paris becomes the city of family fun, rather than midnight strolls along the Seine, sitting leisurely at cafes and enjoying the lights and romance? Well, officially, yes!
Paris can definitely be child-friendly – we’ve consulted with some experts to find out some of the best things to do when in Paris with your kids…
1. Cité des Enfants: This is one of the top children’s museums in the world. Buy tickets ahead of time and plan around their pre-scheduled entrance.
2. Parc de la Villette: This reclaimed industrial landscape was turned into futuristic park. Designed by Bernard Tschumi, the park’s playful structures like the bamboo maze are designed with the kid in mind.
3. Jardin d’Acclimatation: This park was designed in the 19th century, and although it’s been updated with lots of cool rides and play equipment there’s still an air of old Paris about the place.
4. Paris Plage: Truckloads of sand are dumped along the banks of the Seine in an artsy effort to create an urban beach in Paris.
5. Le Jardin des Plantes: A grand botanical garden in the middle of the city and a perfect place to let the kids run and sniff flowers.
6. The Palais de la Découverte: The Palace of Discovery is the city’s second science museum and really oriented towards younger kids (under 12). It’s located in a beautiful 19th century building that is a leftover from the World’s Fair but is decked out with all the latest technology.
7. Tuilleries Garden: Near the Louvre, you can rent a model sailboat in the middle fountain here. Also, in the summer time they set up a carnival with a ferris wheel, that gives the best views of Paris.
8. Jardin du Luxembourg: This is where the famous carousel is, along with slides, swings and a hundred-year-old puppet theater.